123 HP Officejet 5740 Copy Functions
All documents are copied in normal quality print mode. You cannot change the print mode quality when copying.
1-sided original to 1-sided copy
- Load paper in the input tray. Insert a stack of paper
- Open the lid of the 123 HP officejet 5740 copy printer.
- Load the original print side downward on the right-front corner of the scanner glass. Close the lid.
- Select either Start Copy Black or Start Copy Color to start the copy.
- You can increase the number of copies (up to 9) by clicking the button multiple times.
Copy on both sides automatically
- Load your original documents into the document feeder with the first page facing upward, and with the top of the page leading.
- Adjust the paper guides to fit the size of the document.
- From the Home screen on the 123 HP officejet 5740 printer control panel, click the Copy icon.
- Click the Settings button.
- Scroll to and click the Two-Sided button.
- Swipe through the options, and then click an option to select it.
- Click the Start Copy button to start copying.
Copy on both sides manually
- Place the document face-down on the scanner glass with the upper-left corner of the page in the upper-left corner of the glass. Close the scanner.
- From the Home screen on the hp officejet 5740 printer control panel, touch the Copy icon.
- Select the Settings button.
- Scroll to and select the Two-Sided button.
- Swipe through the options, and then select an option to select it.
- Select the Start Copy option to start copying.
- The HP officejet 5740 printer prompts you to load the next original document. Place it on the glass, and then select the OK button.
- Repeat this process until you have scanned the last page. Select the Done option to finish printing the copies.
Copy quality errors on your HP officejet 5740 multifunction printer
If a copy process on your HP multifunction 123 hp officejet 5740 printer processed from the Automatic Document Feeder or from the flatbed produces printouts with horizontal or vertical streaks of poor resolution and quality, use this document to rectify the same.
Step 1. Clean your scanner
Settled dust, smudgy fingerprints or dust and debris on your scanner lid or in the Automatic Document Feeder can cause streaks or bands in your printouts. Use a glass cleaner spray and a clean, lint free cloth to clean the scanner glass. Depending on the printer model, use the steps given below to clean your scanner glass.
Step 2. Clean the rollers of the Automatic Document Feeder
Paper residues or a dusty roller in the Automatic Document Feeder can significantly affect print quality. Open the feeder tray and clean the rollers and the separator pad using the steps given above.Note: Even if the location of the rollers differ based on the printer model, the steps given below are applicable.
- Make sure you have the following things gathered:
- Distilled water or bottled water (do not use tap water)
- A clean cloth that does not come apart in fibers or a lint free cloth
- Take out the document from the Automatic Document Feeder.
- Switch off your printer.
- Remove the power cord from the printer’s rear.
- Open the Automatic Document Feeder tray cover.
- Locate the paper rollers and the separator pad provided inside the ADF.
- Use a moist and lint free cloth, ensure that excess water is squeezed out of the cloth.
- Clean residues and dust settled on the paper rollers and the separator pad using the lint free cloth.
- The separator pads and the rollers should dry. Leave the Automatic Document Feeder cover open for a little while.
- After 10 minutes, close the Automatic Document Feeder cover.
- With the print side facing up, place the document in the document feeder tray gain. Slide in the document as far as it goes.
- Align the paper width guides along the edges of the paper ensuring that there are no bends in the sheets.
- Replace the power cord in the rear of the printer.
- Switch on your 123 hp officejet 5740 printer and proceed to copy.
- If your error is not resolved, proceed with troubleshooting.
Step 3. Modify the copy settings
If the option is available, modify the settings for your copy job to improve the print quality. Only certain printers have the option of changing copy settings and certain other printers have relatively less quality options.
- On the control panel of your 123 hp officejet 5740 printer, click on the Copy icon.
- Click on Settings and navigate to Optimization or Quality.
- Make modifications under any of the following settings:
- Contrast or Lighter/ Darker: Use this to alter the contrast on your photo.
- Enlarge/ Reduce: Modify the size of your copied document.
- Note: certain printer models provide a separate button for the Contrast option on the control panel.
- Enhancements or Optimize: this setting can be used to optimize text or photos for your copy job.
- Draft mode: this mode can speed up the copy process but will significantly affect print quality.
- Quality: Choose between Best, Normal or Draft modes for your print quality.
- Click on OK to save the changes and then press the BACK button.
- Replace the original document in the document feeder tray and try to copy.
- If your error was not resolved, continue troubleshooting.
Step 4. Modify Paper Settings
If the size and the type of paper you have updated do not match with the sheets you have loaded in the input tray, it may cause errors in copying. Check the updated settings on your printer’s control panel. Use the manual provided with your 123 hp officejet 5740 printer for guidance.
- Click on Settings or Setup on the control panel using the button provided.
- Click on Paper Setup and select the option Def. Paper Size.
- Choose the paper size in accordance with what has been loaded in the input tray and click on OK.
- Proceed to copy and see if the error has been remedied.
- If your error persists, proceed to the next step
Step 5: Resetting the printer
For 123 hp officejet 5740 printer models, resetting the printer can cause a forced calibration of the scanners which may resolve the copy issue you are faced with.
- Remove documents or photographs that you have loaded in the document feeder tray and shut the scanner lid.
- While the printer is switched on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of your printer and from the supply outlet on the wall.
- Wait for some time and reconnect the power cord into the wall outlet.
- Note: Do not employ extensions when connecting the power cord of your hp officejet 5740 printer to the wall outlet.
- Replace the power cord in the rear of your printer.
- Place the document or photo in the feeder tray and try to copy.
Step 6: Servicing the 123 hp officejet 5740 printer
If after performing all the steps mentioned above, your error is not resolved, consider servicing your printer. Check the product manual to see if your product is still covered under warranty. Contact a local service provider to service your printer, do not attempt to service your hp officejet 5740 printer by yourself. If your product is not covered by warranty, service charges are applicable. Contact our technical experts on the toll free number provided for further assistance.